Black-Tuttle-Folsom House


Built in three stages between the 1850’s and 1880’s, this oolite limestone house is a fine example of early vernacular masonry. The exposed beams, primitive stone cutting, early six-over-six double hung windows, porch, log roof framing, and low ceilings in the oldest part of the home, all illustrate pioneer construction methods in the 1850’s.
The original owner may have been William Black a first settler of Manti. The second owner, Luther T. Tuttle (1825-1917), was a two-term mayor of Manti and served on the City Council and four terms as a territorial legislator. He also raised sheep and livestock and was a leading merchant and banker. He erected the Tuttle Block in Mani’s Main street and founded the Manti Savings Bank.

Tuttle sold the home in 1890 to John C. Witbeck, he then sold it in 1895 to John E. Metcalf, a prominent merchant and stock raiser who converted the home into a hotel known as “the Metcalf House.” Mr. & Mrs. Clarence miller then owned it for 40 years until 1976 when it was purchased by Historic Utah Inc., a private preservation association.

Contact: none


195 West 300 North
Manti, UT 84642



Black-Tuttle-Folsom House