Seely Creek Guard Station

Description:

The historic Seely Creek Guard Station was first built between 1907 and 1908 by the Manti National Forest. The construction work was done by local men using materials bought in nearby Ephraim and included the existing house and a large stables building. It served as the summer headquarters for the Ranger working on this part of the Forest. The availability of both funding and labor during the Depression brought additional improvements to the facility in 1934. The stables building was replaced by the barn that still stands and the garage was added. Both of these were built by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC).

 

Another significant improvement built by the CCC was the 25 acre log pasture fence. This feature is almost a mile long and used over 1,100 spruce logs to construct. Such large construction projects were typical of the accomplishments of the CCC during this era.

 

Despite these improvements, the guard station was used less and less and improvements to the nearby Ephraim – Orangeville road made traveling easier. As a result, Seely Creek was used very little by the 1970’s, and was in poor condition by the 1990’s. In fact, it was slated for removal when both Forest Service personnel and local community members realized that if a new use for the facility was not found soon, the structures would be lost. The best use was determined to be that of a public recreation facility, as part of the Forest Service Cabin Rental Program.

 

The effort to rehabilitate the facility began in 2002 and it became a cabin rental in the summer of 2008.

On-line Reservations or call 1-877-444-6777.

Contact: Forest Service

Address:

Ephraim Canyon
Ephraim, UT 84627

Phone: 435-283-4151

E-mail: Click to send

Seely Creek Guard Station Seely Creek Guard Station