Judge Jacob Johnson House

Description:

The south section of this house, built of stone in about 1875, is a Classical two-story hall-parlor building. In 1892, the large Victorian addition on the north was completed. The stone walls of the house have been stuccoed and scored to simulate ashlar masonry. Jacob Johnson (1847-1925) built the original section of the house when he opened his law office in Spring City and lived here with his wives, Margaret Anderson (1844-1885) and Matilda Justesen (1866-1930). It is the largest house in Spring City, and was the first house in town to have a bathroom and running water.

The oolitic limestone building just to the north, with cement block addition, served as his office and library. later, when Johnson became judge for the 7th Judicial of Utah, the building became his court.

A fine stone barn is situated north of the house and office.

As a circuit judge, Johnson held court in Manti, Price, Castledale, Moab, and Monticello for a number of years after 1895. He was also a United States Congressman for 2 years.

The current owners are the Anderson’s who have done the restoration on the home.

Contact: Chris Anderson

Address:

390 South 100 West
Spring City, UT 84662

Phone:

E-mail: Click to send

Judge Jacob Johnson House