Historical Liberal Hall

Description:

Built by local men in 1875, the Liberal Hall is the oldest public building in the city and one of the oldest remaining in the county. At first a wood-frame, wood-sided structure with a central bell tower, the Hall has since been stuccoed. The bell tower was removed, but one housed a fine church/school bell. The first time this bell rang, settlers who had not heard a church bell since they left Scandinavia, broke down and cried.

The Liberal Hall was first used for dances and socials. In 1875, the Hall was purchased by Presbyterian minister, duncan J. McMillan, after delivering his first sermon here. McMillian came to Utah from Illinois for his health. He had suffered bronchial troubles caused by exposure to flames while rescuing three young women from a fire, and found Sanpete county a most ‘salubrious atmosphere.’ McMillan set to work making benches and desks in the Liberal Hall for a Presbyterian Sunday school and daily school. His first class of eight children quickly mushroomed to 109 students. he hired teachers Mess Snow and Miss Winter. a near penniless man, McMillan lacked funds to make the final payment for the building and appealed to friends in the East to save his school. At the last minute, a check came from the Women’s Missionary Society in Iowa. McMillan left the school in December 1880 to take an appointment in Salt lake. This hall was used as a meeting place for liberal and dissident Mormons of the nineteenth century, several of whom became Presbyterians.

Contact: none

Address:

65 West Main
Mt. Pleasant, UT 84647

Phone:

E-mail:

Historical Liberal Hall