Van Buren House/Temple Hotel

Description:

The Inn began as a two-room house of native oolite stone, built in the 1860’s by Andrew VanBuren. Later an east section was added. In 1884, the Mormon Church bought the building and added the north section, built by Manti Temple craftsmen. Each of the additions was architecturally compatible to the work done previously, resulting in a cohesive design as the building stands now. Typical of the pioneer period are the six-over-six windows, wood lintels and sills, low -pitched roof with simple, molded trim.

Named the Temple Hotel for its proximity to the Manti LDS Temple, many prominent Mormon church presidents stayed here. In 1897, to protect the Hotel from government confiscation, John D. T. McAllister, third president of the Manti Temple, bought the hotel making it a residence for he and his nine wives. The house remained in the McAllister family until the 1940’s. In 1984, the large dwelling was restored as a fine country inn, with a restaurant, ice cream parlor, gazebo, horse drawn carriage rides, hot tub and of course, a view of the Temple looming above on the hill to the east. Chris & Jennifer McIff now own and run the inn.

Contact: Jennifer McIff

Address:

401 North Main
Manti, UT 84642

Phone: 435-835-0161

E-mail: Click to send

Van Buren House/Temple Hotel