Centerfield School & Town Hall

Description:

This one-story stone school house, now the Centerfield Town Hall was built in 1908. It is constructed of native, rusticated oolite rock laid in regular courses. As in most public buildings, the facade is symmetrical and the entry is well articulated, in this instance, with a large Roman arch. The entry vestibule projects forward from the face of the main building and features a gabled roof with a bracketed cornice. The main roof is a hip, a popular shape for many of Centerfield’s buildings. Flanking the entry are two large picture windows, unfortunately lowered and modernized. The exterior is otherwise unaltered.

From 1908, this school was used by students of all ages, from kindergarten through grade twelve. Later, Centerfield town meetings (previously held in Lars Myrup’s home) were held here, a function that continued after the building ceased operating as a school. Thus the building was never vacant and now serves as Centerfield’s permanent city hall. Its proximity to the church meetinghouse directly to the south is a typical feature of early Mormon communities in which public and religious facilities were often concentrated in the center of town.

Contact: none

Address:

130 South Main
Centerfield, UT 84622

Phone:

E-mail:

Centerfield School & Town Hall