George Downard House - 1875

Description:

This two-story oolitic limestone hall-parlor house was built in teh late 1870’s by George Downard (1821-1902) and closely resembles the Orson Hyde House. Downard was born in Kent, England and joined the LDS church in teh late 1850’s. After immigrating to Utah in 1862, he immediately located in Spring City and supported himself as a carpenter and house painter. The family moved to Richfield in the late 1860’s but was forced to return to Spring City under the threat of Indian attack. Upon his return, Downard began construction of this large stone house, completing it in the late 187’s. In 1882 he sold the house to his son Joseph (1855-1934), a farmer and member of the Spring City Council. The house remains in the Downard family.

Contact: none

Address:

109 South 200 East
Spring City, UT 84662

Phone:

E-mail:

George Downard House - 1875