Marinus Peterson House-1878

Description:

Marinus Petersen (1856-1924), a Danish immigrant convert to the LDS Church, built this rock house nad barn for his family in the mid-1870s. The hall-parlor, one and one half story house has a symmetrical façade pierced by three openings. In 1924 a hipped roof addition was added to the rear. The house remains one of the outstanding 19th century rock homes in Spring City. Marvin “Bish” Petersen (1903-1978) was a son of Marinus and lived in the house until his death in 1978. His nickname stands for “Bishop” and is a tongue-in-cheek reference to Petersen’s strictly non-Mormon attitude. The house is owned by Lothar and Anita Janke who emigrated from East Germany in 1980. The adjacent barn is a hay barn with log crib and frame stable. Other outbuildings on the site have been remodeled for extra living space.

Contact: none

Address:

285 East 500 North
Spring City, UT 84662

Phone:

E-mail:

Marinus Peterson House-1878