Spring City Endowment House/Office/School

Description:

Also known as the Orson Hyde Office and the Allred School.
Constructed in 1876, this one story, limestone house has a carved-stone plaque above the door. The panel features a central beehive and bees, “1876,” and the words “Liberty and Virtue” with the first letters in the form of a compass and square. The symmetrical facade has a Greek Revival cornice. The attic, with its massive kingpost truss, has been converted into a sleeping quarters, and skylights added in the roof.

This building is said to have been used as an endowment house for the pioneers of the LDS church,(there is some speculation that this is true)where sacred rites of the church were performed. The Spring City LDS Women’s Relief Society first owned the lot and built the house, granary and a barn in the early 1870’s. Orson Hyde, husband of local Relief Society president Mary Ann Hyde, used the house as his office from 1876 to 1878. LDS Church records list “O. Hyde’s Office” in Spring City as a non-temple site where endowments were performed. Some locals hold that their ancestors were “endowed” and “sealed” here because the St. George and Salt Lake temples were too far away, and Manti Temple wasn’t built until 1888.

Upon Hyde’s death in 1878, the house became the John Frank Allred rock school from 1879 to 1899, named for its main teacher.

The building is currently owned by artisan Randall Lake.

Contact: Stuart Lake

Address:

63 West 300 South
Spring City, UT 84662

Phone: 949-290-0458

E-mail:

Spring City Endowment House/Office/School Spring City Endowment House/Office/School