Francis Marion Jolley House

Description:

Built about 1873, this tow-story brick home is a fine example of the “double-Pen” folk/vernacular style common to Sanpete county. Its four wall gabvles are seeply-pitched, suggestive of Gothic Revival as seen on the Lion House in Salt Lake. The six-over-one windows are somewhat unusual, as is the single asymmetrically placed front door. The building is nearly unaltered and well-preserved. The red brick used in this house was unusual, made of ferroc-oxide clay found on the west side of the valley near Wales or Fountain Green. Most of the brick made in the area was yellow-colored, due to clay with a high lime content.

Francis Marion Jolley emigrated from Cheshire, England in 1853 and moved around the valley before settling in Manti. In 1865 he married Chelnecha Jolley in Moroni. In 1873 he bought this property ofr $150.00 which included a small adobe house set up earlier by a Mr. Grier. Jolley immediately built this two-story, red brick house. The initials “FMJ” are inscribed into one brick on the facade surface. Mr. Jolley was a farmer, wool grower and ran a carpenter’s shop. He died in 1891. This is a private residence.

Contact: none

Address:

off US Hwy 89
Manti, UT 84642

Phone:

E-mail:

Francis Marion Jolley House