John Dorius, Jr. House

Description:

One of the county’s most majestic residences is this Queen Anne style home constructed in 1897 for John Dorius Jr. Designed in full Victorian exuberance, the house features a two story, wrap around porch, a roof turret and a polygonal dormer at the roof’s peak. The trim is highly ornamental, including the gable shingles, porch columns, railings and cornices. Stone and brick walls convey a sense of solidity. The most recent painting was done in a Victorian palette suitable to the period.

It has been restored and maintains its historical feel. The ornate staircase that greets visitors is a beautiful example of pioneer craftsmanship. The paneling and railing were decorated using a technique called “veining.” This technique was applied with a feather.

Dorius was a prominent Ephraim business man and the son of Danish immigrant John Dorius. He was a freighter, farmer and merchantman. In 1905, Dorius sold the home to L.M. Olsen who ran a dry goods store in competition with the LDS Church owned ZCMI. The house later passed through many hands, serving as Ephraim’s first hospital and doctors’ office, as well as the first public library. Several presidents of Snow College resided here. Later it also served as a girl’s dormitory. This house is rumored to have “haunting inhabitants.” Some Ephraim residents claim to see a face in the upper turret window late at night.

In 1990 Mark and Susie Nilsson purchased the house and are working on the restoration. It is a private residence.

Contact: none

Address:

46 West 100 North
Ephraim, UT 84627

Phone:

E-mail:

John Dorius, Jr. House